Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spiritual Gifts

Women Praying at the Tomb of Ozman Gazi in Bursa, Turkey
Founder of the Ottoman Empire
Upon my return from Turkey, late Sunday evening, I began the process of unpacking.  I had brought a few small gifts for loved ones, and Mickey and my Dad were close at hand so that I could give them what I had brought for them.  I am a poor shopper; shopping is not one of my gifts.  I do enjoy having gifts to give to others - and I try to consider what they might like or enjoy - in my limited abilities, I simply do the best that I can.  We had taken gifts to Turkey to give to the families, they were from the Church - hand knitted "Prayer Shawls" from our Monday night Prayer Shawl ministry group - in a small gift giving ceremony with each family I read the poem that is affixed to each shawl, it speaks of wrapping the recipients in love and care.  These gifts were received with such joy and appreciation.

But here is a tradition that I did not expect: When you come to someone's home in Turkey, they give you a gift!  Imagine our surprise – we who had been so generously hosted – when, as we prepared to leave each home, gifts were given to us by our host families.  Already they had opened their homes, fed us like Sultans, treated us with love and kindness, these were gifts aplenty.  But then to also give us something to take with us... such kindness!  The idea of gift giving is an ancient - and I would suggest "a spiritual" - concept.  It comes from a prayerful (read spiritual) heart.

On the left the European Continent, on the Right the Asian Continent
The suspension bridge unites two continents

Last night I had the privilege of meeting with our Vacation Bible School teachers.  Each year they allow me to share a few thoughts along with the Reverend Talia Raymond and the Reverend Karen Duncan regarding the scriptures to be used to frame the theme of each day of VBS.  The daily themes this year are “Body, Mind, Spirit, Gifts, and Journey.”  Each is considered in the context of what it means to share in covenant community.  This is our highest calling, to see the world as our covenant community as we stretch our lives out from our smaller covenant communities whether they be family, faith community, or close friends to this small blue-green sphere we call our home.  We each have gifts to bring to the great enterprise of building a worldwide covenant community.  It is a spiritual work, and requires the discipline of love, even in the face of spirits of destruction and hate.  The Rabbi whom I try to follow teaches: “love your enemy, do good to those who persecute you.”  It is this spiritual discipline and gift that, like the bridges over the Bosphorus which unite two continents, can unite the human community in a covenant of love and compassion.  People who attempt to live life from a spiritual center are called to a different way of living in the world.  This Rabbi I mentioned also said, "The meek shall inherit the earth."

Entrance into the Dolmabahçe Palace - Istanbul, Turkey

This pathway, bringing our gifts of love and compassion to the world, is the only way that we help to create a world "fit to live in."  It is the pathway of life, the intention of God for all of creation.  We cannot control what the other will do, or how they will behave, we are called to live our lives - and our lives only - for the good of the other.  May each of us find the pathway into the palace of life; it is a palace not made with hands, but possessing gifts of eternal value: faith, hope, and love.  May God who IS LOVE, guide you on your journey.

YouTube Videos from Turkey are linked below:





No comments:

Post a Comment