Sunday, May 15, 2011

To Turkey With Love

The Blue Mosque, Istanbul
In a few days it will be my privilege to embark on one of those "journeys of a lifetime."  Hosted and arranged by The Nile Foundation in Orlando, FL the intention of this trip is to build better relationships between various community, civic, educational, and religious leaders from both Turkey and the United States.

An added joy is that I will be in the company of one of my dearest friends, the Rev. Chuck Fiandaca, and also a new friend, Mr. Dave Krepcho, President & CEO of the Second Harvest Food Bank.  Along with others we will be privileged to travel throughout Turkey under our intelligent and well equipped guides from the Nile Foundation.

It is especially gratifying to have the strong support of my Church community at First Congregational Church of Winter Park, and of course of my wife Mickey and my dad, Jim who will be keeping the home fires burning.  As with every "journey of spirit" there is an emotional and intellectual preparation, along with the more pedestrian tasks such as packing, etc.  One of the ways I am preparing is through learning more about the Azan or Adhan, the Islamic call to prayer, which is an integral part of the Muslim faith.  The Muslim is called to prayer five times a day.

The call to prayer is heard at dawn, at the midday, about the middle of the afternoon, just after sunset, and at night fall about two hours after sunset. It’s the first thing recited in the ears of a newborn baby and is often the first thing said upon entry into a new home.  It rings out in mosques, Islamic schools, homes, and on the street in Muslim communities and is one of the most lyrical and inspiring prayers for Muslims.  As I write this entry I am listening to the Azan or Adhan at this site: Most Beautiful Azan.  To read some translations Wikipedia offers this: Translations of Azan.

As a Christian I'm looking very much forward to experiencing this call to prayer throughout the day.  My intent will be to allow myself to be called to prayer in these times, using a variety of prayers from Islamic, Jewish, and Christian traditions.  For me, prayer is most importantly an invitation to open ourselves to the Spirit of God's love in our lives, and to be prepared to more fully and gently share that love with others in humility and compassion.  What a magnificent journey this will be.  I welcome you to follow this journal and share your insights and thoughts.  May each of our journeys be rich with peace, kindness, and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment